Thursday, May 2, 2013

Interactions during the day


Isn't he cute. He's also been pretty good lately. Solid independent play, only tries to hurt Allie once a day, and seems to get excited to help. So, why am I so drained at the end of the day?




 

Enter typical conversation with Jackson:

J: Mom, what are we doing today?
S: We're going shopping this morning.
J: WHHaTT? [really pronouncing the h, and the t]
S: We're going shopping.
J: We're going shopping? Where we going shopping?
S: The grocery store.
J: WHHaTT?
S: Where are we going shopping Jackson?
J: I donno. The grocery store?
S: That's right.
J: What we get at the grocery store?
S: We need to go buy some bread.
J: WHHaTT?
S: [eye roll, ignore]
J: What mom? What?
S: What are we getting?
J: Bread? Are we getting bread mom?
S: We're getting bread.
J: You sad mom?
S: No.
J: You haPPY MOM!?
S: I'm just fine.
J: WHAT? What mom?
S: I'm doing just fine.
J: You just fine mom?
S: Yes Jackson.
J: What is fine?
S: It's in between happy and sad.
J: [Silence]... You happy mom?
S: [sight] Sure.
J: Where are we going mom?

....

 I'll never forget babysitting 2 and 3 year olds and wondering how their moms dealt with all the questions they asked ALL DAY LONG. It's shockingly taxing to answer the same questions. I am sure it is a developmental stage and way for the child to learn at a much quicker pace, but boy oh boy. Stick in no nap, and I've been run pretty ragged.

On the plus side, Jackson always has these funny little sayings that make me laugh so much. In his brain, he "used to be" everything. He'll often tell me, "When I used to be an airplane, I fly up in the sky, and swoosh down and land at the airport and vroom over here." This also happens with buses, schools, pirates, ambulances, etc. It's pretty hilarious. He's also always excited to tell Mark things at the end of the day. Throughout the day he'll say, "When Daddy get home, I tell him I jump over my truck and BAM into the door."

I'm sure we'll have plenty more interesting conversations this next week. He turns three on Saturday. With Mark in finals, we decided to postpone the celebrations until next Saturday. I'm just imagining the impending conversations about when his birthday will actually be. "WHHaTT mom? When my birthday is??"

Onto the little girl in the house.

Allie:

[whining in her jonny-jump-up]
S: Hello Little Miss! What's up.
A: Mamamamamamama
S: Oh you're ok. Here, have a toy.
A: [Fusses]
S: Allie Ballie, what do you need?
A: mamamamama!
S: [sniff test] OH! Poops! Let's go change you.

This girl is a fairly effective communicator for having no words. She hates sitting in her poop and will whine as soon as it comes out. The cutest part, is when she getting changed and her pants are off, she immediately starts to clap her feet together. Her expressive feet are so lovable.

She's also starting to eat more solid food. It has totally messed with her nursing schedule, but we're starting to figure out how to do both. Avocados are her go-to food, with bread and cheerios close behind. Everything else is a guessing game. Last night I gave her chicken--a big hit. Here's a little clip (ok, a little long clip) of our dinner time last night (Mark was at class).  I love how Jackson periodically pipes in, in his own special way :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts. Advice. Comment Love.