Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baked Spring Rolls

Dinner seems to be the ever looming question in our house. It's a rough decision which requires asking Jackson (the only other person around) 3-4 times a day. "Bud! What should we have for dinner?" "Hey kid, what do you want to eat tonight?" "Dinner, dinner, dinner, what should we eat for dinner?!" Generally I get some kind of look like this:

or this.


Now that he eats pretty much what we eat, it does affect him, but he does not seem to care as long as he can smoosh it around, pick it up himself, and throw it on the ground later to be consumed in one of his classic vacuum moves.

But since I care, I decided to shake things up and make something out of our normal menu rotation. I bought spring roll wraps at the Asian grocery store, and put together my version of a spring roll. Since deep frying was WAY out of the questions, I spread egg on them, and stuck them in the oven. Amazingly, all members of the family enjoyed them, especially the Y chromosomers.

Shaunel's Baked Spring Rolls


1 Onion
2 Cloves crushed garlic
2 Pork chops chopped
1 Head Bok Choy or Cabbage shredded or chopped very small
2 T Soy Sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
Package of Spring Rolls Wrappers
1 Beaten Egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Saute onion in some olive oil until translucent. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Add pork and saute until cooked through, add bok choy or cabbage until lightly wilted (1-2 min). Add soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper.

Fill spring roll wrappers with 1/4 c of mixture. (I had to double up my wrappers because they kept braking). Roll the rolls like a burrito, closing in the sides. Seal them closed with a little bit of the egg. With a basting brush or your fingers, cover the spring rolls with the egg.

Space evenly apart on a baking dish, and bake until golden, 10-15 min.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the title of your post, I thought cinnamon rolls or orange rolls... lol. Those look great! I am definitely going to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try those. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts. Advice. Comment Love.